Monday 20 February 2012

Pancake Monday (and a low fat/ no flour batter recipe)

Yes, I know, it should be pancake Tuesday but tomorrow we're at the theatre and so won't have a chance to make them, Ben didn't want to miss it so we brought it forward by a day. Check out my fabulous flipping action!








{The real deal-with fresh raspberries and syrup}

(Low fat imitator}

Firstly, I should mention that US/ Canadian pancakes are different to the English version (we call your pancakes 'dropped scones'). If you fancy attempting the low fat version of English pancakes, see below:

Low fat/ flour free pancakes:
You need:
1. Two eggs
2. 2 tablespoons of vanilla essence or extract
3. 4 tablespoons of sweetener
4. Fry Light (or similar one-cal spray)
5. Topping- I used raspberries and fat-free creme-fraiche mixed with roughly one teaspoon of sweetener per 3 table spoons of creme-fraiche

To make:
1. Separate the yolks and the whites into two different bowls
2.Add sweetener to the white and whisk as if making a meringue, I used an electric whisk, until it forms peaks.
3. Add vanilla essence/ extract to yolks and fold mixture gently into egg whites.
4. Using Fry Light (or similar), spray and then add half of mixture. As it has a foamy texture, you may need to spread it out a little in the frying pan.
6.Turn (with spatula) once it has began to lightly brown (see note at bottom). 
7. Serve with desired topping

Note: the 'batter' is actually more like a foam and it does not flip! I used a spatula to turn it. Also, my second one worked much better, this is similar to English 'dropped scones' where you are encouraged to chuck the first batch as it works better once the pan has some mixture on bottom. Finally, these aren't tasty enough (at least, not for me) to eat alone but tasted great with a tasty topping. I'll be cooking these again as a low-fat treat.

Happy Pancake Day for tomorrow everybody. xxx






11 comments:

  1. ohh i love your english pancakes. we make the same thing in brazil.. it's a lot different than american style. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks Amazing! Love the flip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks tasty!! I love fresh berries this time of the year... a reminder that one day, it'll be summer again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound amazzzzing! I can't wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all those action shots! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. these look delicious! i need to try your recipe! you are an absolute pro at flipping pancakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh these look amazing! Definitely going to be trying this recipe!

    XOXO, Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks guys,just to say unless you are trying to cut back on flour/calories,I would pick the full fat version I made for Steve&Ben as much nicer (top photo). They are just standard English pancakes,I'm sure you can just Google recipe for them but if you can't let me know&I'm happy to share mine.x

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum, they look so delicious! i love pancakes with fresh berries and cream.

    ReplyDelete