Sunday 30 September 2012

Inspired by you guys... bath time toys

Ben loves his bath time but as he's getting older, there are less and less bath toys available aimed at his age range. I have bought a few things in the past such as this shoot the duck (fell apart on second use), these bath crayons (a nightmare to wash off) and this football game (ditto the duck game). Normally, we've had little success and so Ben tends to play with plastic figures/ bottles etc.

Then I saw this inspiring blog post. What a fab idea and great for any age!

We went to Hobbycraft to get some crafty bits for various projects but the only foam we could find was quite thin and smooth textured. Unsure it would work, we opted to buy one sheet of grey (40p) as a trial and, if successful, we would buy the £4.99 bumper pack (the bright colour version) with 50 sheets of foam.

I have to say, this is super easy, super cheap and really satisfying to do.

You need:

  • Foam 
  • Scissors
  • A pencil
  • Ten spare minutes



Draw your desired shape in pencil (if you're super confident you could even skip this stage). I got Steve to draw mine as I'm not blessed in the drawing department, if you're like me, you could always print your desired silhouette from Google images etc and draw around that.

Cut it out

Wet and apply to tiles!

How easy is that? Now we know this smoother/ thinner foam works too, we're going to be cutting monster body parts, shapes etc (as shown in the previous linked blog)for Ben to wrap up for Christmas. As he's a bit older, we'll also give him some uncut sheets to make his own designs (though I think he'll have to do those outside the bath).

Happy crafting everybody!xxx



7 comments:

  1. Gosh that's a great idea ...so easy and cheap too! I think I will definitely give that a go with Mia, she would love that, she too is getting a little bored with her old bath toys :) thanks for the inspiration, hope you're keeping well xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! My favorite sort of craft-- quick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic, cheap and easy idea!! I'll be doing this as a Christmas pressie idea for people I know with young children.

    L xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea! Thanks so much for sharing. And thanks for popping into my blog and leaving such a lovely comment. WIshing you a week full of smiles, cups of tea and adventure :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know about kids, but I'm totally trying this one out for myself xxx

    ReplyDelete